Sunday, December 4, 2011

Windows 64bit RAM Limit to 4GB (Or even Less)

Its called PAE (Physical Address Execution).
Once enabled, your system can see all the RAM installed on your PC.
In my case, I had 8GB RAM Installed but my windows 2008 server 64bit was showing me only 3070 used!!! what happened to remaining almost 5GB RAM!!!
After doing some research, found that PAE is disabled (dont ask me how to find if it disabled or not as seeing 3070 in Task Manager is enough for me to say that its disabled) and thats why my system was not utilizing all my 8GB.

This PAE is directly related with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and as I disabled DEP (check my previous post) due to issues with Cygwin install, PAE is also disabled. So, to get my 8GB back I have to enable PAE but leave DEP Disabled so this is what I had to do to enable PAE.

OK. How do you enable that PAE thingy???

Open Command window (Run as Administrator) and type the following and reboot and wola you will see all your RAM.
C:>BCDedit /set PAE forceenable

I am sorry, I am no expert in Windows Internal and all these PAE and DEP stuff. http://www.giyf.com/ to find out more about these terminologies!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment